Shawnee FFA Students Win Awards at Pottawatomie County Free Fair
Shawnee FFA students recently finished the Pottawatomie County Free Fair with multiple awards, said Dr. Brett Scott, FFA advisor.
Junior Keegan Carrera received the Ann Gilbert Award, a leadership award that is presented to an individual from Pottawatomie County who has demonstrated hard work, leadership, citizenship and overall outstanding behavior during the fair. The award is named for Ann Gilbert who, along with her husband Joseph, founded Gilbert Trucking.
Several teams from Shawnee also received awards. Shawnee FFA placed second on their Chapter Educational Booth. Shawnee Blue Team placed first overall for horticulture judging, and the Shawnee Gold Team finished third. Shawnee's Livestock Judging Team finished third overall.
Many students received individual awards.
- Carrera received the following awards: Champion Senior Lamb Showman; Reserve Grand Ewe Lamb; Reserve Champion Division 3 Whether; Champion Division 5 Whether; Overall Livestock Judging Individual, second; small artificial arrangement, first; large artificial arrangement, fourth; and outdoor furniture, fourth.
- Kaylee Peace, senior, received the following: wall swag, first; small artificial wreath, first; small seasonal arrangement, first; boutonniere, second; large artificial arrangement, second; large seasonal arrangement, second; small artificial arrangement, third; large wreath, third; and seasonal wreath, third.
- Kensington Kerbs, junior, received first in news reporting board and small decorative welding. Kerbs also received third in small and large floral arrangements.
- Dassie May, junior, received first place in large artificial wreath, large floral arrangement, and small projects. May also received third in small floral arrangement.
- Allie Scott, junior, received third place in large arrangement seasonal.
- Bryson McKay, sophomore, received the following: artificial large arrangement, first; large artificial wreath, second; small artificial wreath, fourth; and Division 4 Ewe Lamb, fifth.
- Collin Kennedy, sophomore, received sixth in small artificial arrangement.
- Andrew Shepard, sophomore, received third in small seasonal arrangement.
- Silas Jones, junior, won third in small seasonal arrangement.
- Langston Yort, sophomore, won second in small seasonal arrangement.
- Herson Aguilar, junior, placed seventh in large artificial arrangement.
- Kirstin Gonzales, junior, received fifth in large artificial arrangement.
- Emmie Varselona, junior, received the following: Division 4 Ewe Lamb, third; Division 4 Ewe Lamb, fourth; Division 5 Whether Lamb, fifth; and large artificial arrangement, fourth.
- Arianna Comerate, senior, received sixth for large artificial arrangement.