Shawnee Public Schools Offers Nontraditional, Online Learning Options
For many students, the beginning of the academic year means arriving at the school building early in the morning and attending classes with one or several teachers.
However, some students find that traditional school does not fit their individual needs. To help all students become lifelong learners in an environment that works for them, Shawnee Public Schools offers a variety of nontraditional options for attending school, including online learning.
- Shawnee Virtual Academy allows students to complete all of their required coursework online.
- Shawnee Night School takes place during evening hours for students wanting to earn high school graduation credits. Certified teachers are on site to provide guidance and tutoring.
- Jim Thorpe Academy is an alternative high school setting. Students receive instruction from certified teachers in small classes. Online opportunities are available so students may earn credit toward graduation.
Students who enroll in one of the alternative learning options have the benefits of being a Shawnee Public Schools student, receiving tutoring and other support, participating in extracurricular activities, and, if desired, easily transitioning into a traditional classroom.
Students and their parents who are interested in Shawnee's alternative education options must complete an application process. These applications are available from school principals and counselors. Students must be under the age of 21 and must reside within the Shawnee Public Schools attendance boundaries in order to take advantage of these nontraditional school options.
More information is available from the following:
- High school students may contact Debra Watson, director of alternative education, at email@example.com, or the Shawnee High School or Jim Thorpe Academy counseling offices.
- Middle school students should contact Joey Slate, Shawnee Middle School principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the middle school counseling office.
- Elementary students should contact Gretchen Slate, Shawnee Public Schools instructional coordinator, at email@example.com.