Focus on Online Safety Comes with Student Learning Devices
August 26, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
As we are providing each of our students a device to use for learning both at school and at home, we want to make you aware of how we are keeping your children safe online.
- All our student devices are filtered in accordance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA). CIPA requires our District to block all pornographic images and material that could be harmful to minors.
- We block all social media access for students on our devices.
- App Store access is not allowed on student devices. All applications on these devices must come from Shawnee Public Schools. If your child has an academic app request, they can submit that request to a teacher or administrator who will contact our technology team with a helpdesk ticket.
- Applications that allow electronic messaging are blocked on student devices.
- Dating, gambling, and malware sites are blocked.
- Many resources are available to families for making sure children know how to protect themselves online. Common Sense Media and Be Internet Awesome are two excellent online resources that offer tips on teaching children online privacy and safety. Our classroom teachers, school counselors, and school librarians also teach students how to make safe choices online.
Your student’s safety is always our number-one priority. If you have any questions or concerns about keeping your student safe online or about our devices, please contact your child’s teacher, school librarian, or our district technology department.
April Grace, Ed.D.