Shawnee Public Schools is working closely with the Pottawatomie County Health Department to make sure the district is following all recommended protocols. These protocols include cleaning and disinfecting with special attention on high-touch areas such as door handles. The protocols are followed not only at our school sites but also in our school buses. These buses are cleaned and disinfected thoroughly after both morning and afternoon bus routes when school is in session.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that all people practice the following healthy habits in order to stave off any illnesses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after being in a public place; going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-percent alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.